Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Not the Same Old Schizz

Show: Wicked
Venue: The Pantages
Awesome Rating: Exploding High 5

My relationship with this show goes way back. Yes it is a relationship, that's how much I love this show, music, and story.

I read Gregory Maguire's book that spawned the whole thing. I don't recommend it. The show tells the story much better without the graphic, horrific, and pointless tangents Maguire manages to get himself lost in every 30 pages or so.

It started when my brother handed me a burnt copy of the show's music to keep me company on a drive home from Utah once. I'd seen the ads for it all over NY when I was there during that Spring but didn't get around to seeing the show. I was curious. It didn't leave my CD player for a good 3 months and I declared it the new love of my life to all who would listen. I read the book and prayed that the show would be different when it made its way to LA. When it did I saw it with a group of friends for one of their birthdays and was completely and totally blown away. In the good way. Like couldn't move from my seat for a few minutes after the curtain call or stop clapping during it. This show made me feel and think and love all at the same time. Most shows only make you feel something but without much brain power or they make you think but don't move you. Its rare when a show does both for me and with such amplitude. It was immediately shortlisted.

The music is so good and so smart it stands on its own without a show and is so descriptive that I had literally staged the whole show in my head numerous times the months I sang along before the show got here. When it finally did I wasn't let down. I was dreadfully unimaginative compared to what they brought. They deliver an Oz scaled production and characters. Galinda is beyond presh. She makes being a girl fun again, and credible.

I saw it for the 5th time with my best friend over Thanksgiving weekend and it was still an amazing and moving experience. I've cried every time but once. Its a story about two VERY different but very good women and about friendship and sacrifice and life and what it deals you and BRILLIANTLY address social norms that we don't typically air out in pop culture. Like what makes something good and what "good" really means. Like is something better or just permanently changed? Or both?

The Anti-Bush sentiments are in full force, but what do you expect? It's Oz...

It's closing in a few weeks and I will miss it but I think that I did it justice while it was here.
I love the theater so much. Its such a different medium for thought and experience than movies or books or concerts. Its its own wavelength with its own brand of awesome and amazing and this show qualifies for both. You feel smarter when you leave and entertained and enriched. You're asking questions about things and concepts, not people and costumes. Its as much of a message as it is an entertainment and I think TH ATS why I love it so much.

If you haven't seen it yet, go! Right now! Quick! Like a bunny! Before it leaves.

Seriously. Go defy gravity and be popular and be changed. For good.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Last year for Christmas you said you'd take me, but then I moved. I still want to see it at Pantages, even though it's playing all over the country. Maybe you'll feel inclined once I hand your copy of Pirates of Penzance over...

Tracy said...

Definitely an exploding high 5!
It took me 3 days to process the whole thing... it was amazing. Sucked me in, captivated me (sitting mouth agape in my lovely pantages seat the whole time) and left me running home doing Galinda impressions. I would see it 5 times given the chance and would still be asking for more!

Awesomeness courtesy of my best friend = awesomeness I get to share with my best friend = AWESOMEST!

Shelly! said...

I'm with Tracy. The first time I saw it I needed a few days of downloading to let the glory sink in. I think I've seen it seven times now and never make it through Defying Gravity without crying. Which makes the people around me (even if I know them) a little uncomfy. Partly because I'm crying and partly because they can't quite understand why they aren't crying.

And the Gregory Macquire book - I actually loved it but would NOT recommend it for anyone hoping to see or having seen the musical. It's a little much in compared to the nicely packaged, sweetly sung theatre experience :) (...and that's an understatement)